Chery’s Australian relaunch is off to a strong start, and it plans to build on the momentum created by the Omoda 5 with the larger Tiggo 7 Pro.
The range starts at $39,990 drive-away, and even the base model comes standard with heated front seats, a panoramic sunroof, and dual 12.3-inch screens.
It’s due in local showrooms in the fourth quarter of 2024.
The Tiggo 7 Pro straddles the larger end of the small SUV segment and the smaller end of the mid-sized SUV segment. At 4513mm long, it’s just shy of the Mitsubishi Eclipse Cross (classified as a small SUV) and the Mazda CX-5 and Honda ZR-V (classified as mid-sizers).
It’s 113mm longer and 32mm wider than the Omoda 5, which though it was released in Australia first, is actually the newer of the two.
It rides on MacPherson strut front suspension and a multi-link set-up at the rear, unlike the Omoda 5 which thus far comes only with a torsion-beam rear.
Chery offers a dizzying array of SUVs under the Tiggo sub-brand, and says it has sold over three million Tiggo-branded vehicles in over 80 countries. The Tiggo 7 alone has accounted for 500,000 of these sales, and is offered in over 50 countries.
It has already confirmed another member of the Tiggo sub-brand for our market: the Tiggo 8 Pro, which at 4745mm long and available with a third row of seating, will closely match the Mitsubishi Outlander. It’s expected in the first quarter of 2024.
Chery only relaunched here earlier this year after almost a decade missing from our market.
This time around it’s a factory-backed operation, and the brand already has 46 dealerships around the country with more to open by year’s end.
This isn’t the first time a Tiggo SUV has been sold in Australia. The old J11 SUV from the brand’s last go in Australia was known elsewhere as the Tiggo or Tiggo 3.
- 2024 Chery Tiggo 7 Pro Urban: $39,990
- 2024 Chery Tiggo 7 Pro Elite: $41,990
- 2024 Chery Tiggo 7 Pro Ultimate AWD: $45,990
All prices are drive-away.
All 2024 Chery Tiggo 7 Pro models use a turbocharged 1.6-litre four-cylinder engine producing 137kW of power at 5500rpm and 275Nm of torque between 2000 and 4000rpm.
It’s mated with a seven-speed dual-clutch automatic transmission.
The Urban and Elite are front-wheel drive, while the Ultimate is all-wheel drive.
Chery claims a 0-100km/h time of 9.5 seconds for front-wheel drive models and 9.9 seconds for the Ultimate AWD.
The 2024 Chery Tiggo 7 Pro uses 7.0L/100km on the combined cycle in front-wheel drive trims, and 7.8L/100km in the Ultimate AWD.
It requires 95 RON premium unleaded fuel.
Front-wheel drive models have a 51L fuel tank, while the Ultimate AWD has a 57L fuel tank.
The 2024 Chery Tiggo 7 Pro measures 4513mm long, 1862mm wide and 1696mm tall on a 2670mm wheelbase.
It has 626L of boot space, expanding to 1672L with the rear seats folded.
Servicing and Warranty
The Chery Tiggo 7 Pro is backed by a seven-year, unlimited-kilometre warranty, with seven years of capped-price servicing and seven years of roadside assistance.
The first 500 Tiggo 7 Pro customers who place an order before October 20 will receive free scheduled servicing for the first three years or 30,000km.
Chery hasn’t released service pricing.
The Chery Tiggo 7 Pro has yet to be tested by ANCAP or Euro NCAP.
Standard safety equipment across the range includes:
- Autonomous emergency braking
- Blind-spot monitoring
- Lane-keep assist
- Emergency lane-keep assist
- Rear cross-traffic assist
- Traffic sign recognition
- Traffic Jam Assist
- Adaptive cruise control
- Integrated Cruise Assist
- Eight airbags: front-centre and driver’s knee, plus dual front, front-side and curtain ‘bags
- Reversing camera
- Front and rear parking sensors
- Driver monitoring system
- Child presence detection
- Safe exit warning
- Multi-collision braking
The Elite adds a surround-view camera.
The Urban comes standard with the following equipment:
- Automatic LED headlights
- Rain-sensing wipers
- 18-inch alloy wheels in Atlas tyres
- Full-size spare
- Tyre pressure monitoring
- Three drive modes (Eco, Sport, Normal)
- Keyless entry and start
- Remote start
- Electronic parking brake with auto hold
- Artificial leather upholstery
- Artificial leather-wrapped steering wheel
- Four-way steering wheel adjustment
- Heated front seats (cushion and backrest)
- Six-way power driver’s seat
- Four-way power passenger seat
- Dual-zone climate control
- Panoramic sunroof
- 12.3-inch digital instrument cluster
- 12.3-inch touchscreen infotainment system
- Wireless Apple CarPlay and Android Auto
- Satellite navigation
- Voice assistant
- Eight-speaker Sony sound system
- Wireless phone charger
- Ambient lighting
- Front and rear USB outlets including USB-C
- 2 x 12V outlets (front, boot)
The Elite adds:
- Power-folding exterior mirrors
- Power tailgate
- Illuminated sill plates
- Air quality management system with negative ion air freshener
- Cargo blind
- Optional black roof
The Ultimate AWD adds:
- 19-inch alloy wheels in Cooper tyres
- Six drive modes (Eco, Sport, Normal, Snow, Mud and Off-road)
- Red front brake calipers
- Power-folding exterior mirrors with memory
- Auto-dimming rear-view mirror
- Ventilated front seats (cushion only)
- Power driver’s seat with memory
MORE: Everything Chery Tiggo 7 Pro