The Mazda6 up to $1000 more for 2023, but has received various spec updates as well as a new special edition.
It’s also the latest model from the brand to adopt Mazda’s new powertrain naming convention.
The naturally aspirated 2.5-liter four-cylinder Sport and Touring are now the G25 Sport and G25 Touring, while the turbocharged 2.5-liter GT SP and Atenza are now the G35 GT SP and G35 Atenza.
The G25 Sport models got the smallest price increase – $300 – because they were the recipients of the fewest upgrades.
All 2023 Mazda 6 models get an updated power steering system, while the G25 Touring and above now get wireless Apple CarPlay for their 8.0-inch MZD Connect touchscreen infotainment system.
The G35 GT SP and G35 Atenza models get the brand’s semi-autonomous driver assistance features Cruise Support and Traffic.
The G35 GT SP also gets “gloss black signature wings front and rear” with the wagon also getting gloss black roof rails, while the G35 Atenza model comes standard with black Nappa leather upholstery – sadly, the Walnut Brown and Pure White colors are gone.
The main 2.5-litre Skyactiv-G turbocharged petrol engine now produces 173kW (up 3kW) at 4250rpm. Peak torque remains at 420Nm (at 2000rpm), but Mazda says the motor will make an extra 8Nm at 4250rpm than before.
Mazda says the six-speed automatic has also been updated to “provide more direct shift response and an engaging driving feel”; while “accelerator pedal reactivity has been increased to provide a more direct and intuitive connection to engine torque”.
The special 20th Anniversary Edition, commemorating two decades and more than 144,000 Mazda 6 sales in Australia, is based on the G35 Atenza and comes exclusively in Artisan Red and Rhodium White metallic finishes.
Other distinguishing exterior features include 20th Anniversary badging and high-gloss silver 19-inch alloy wheels.
On the inside, the Mazda 6 20th Anniversary special offers a tan interior trimmed in Leganu suede and Nappa leather. The front headrests are also embossed with the 20th Anniversary logo.
Although the Mazda 6 has now been discontinued in the United States, Canada and the United Kingdom, Mazda Australia says it remains an “important model” here. It’s unclear how much longer it will be around, however, given that it’s now more than a decade old with no replacement in sight.
Despite its age, Mazda sold 1511 6s in 2022, making it the second best-seller in its segment, though well behind the Toyota Camry (9538 sales).
- 2023 Mazda 6 G25 Sport sedan: $35,540 (+$300)
- 2023 Mazda 6 G25 Sport Wagon: $36,840 (+$300)
- 2023 Mazda 6 G25 Touring sedan: $40,210 (+$570)
- 2023 Mazda 6 G25 Touring wagon: $41,510 (+$570)
- 2023 Mazda 6 G35 GT SP Sedan: $48,440 (+$1000)
- 2023 Mazda 6 G35 GT SP Wagon: $49,470 (+$1000)
- 2023 Mazda 6 G35 Atenza Sedan: $51,840 (+$1000)
- 2023 Mazda 6 G35 Atenza wagon: $53,140 (+$1000)
- 2023 Mazda 6 20th Anniversary sedan: $53,635 (NEW)
- 2023 Mazda 6 20th Anniversary Wagon: $54,935 (NEW)
All prices do not include on-road costs.
The Mazda 6 G25 2023 model uses a naturally aspirated 2.5-liter four-cylinder engine produce 140kW power at 6000rpm and 252Nm torque at 4000rpm.
The Mazda 6 G35 model uses a turbocharged 2.5-liter four-cylinder engine produce 173kW power at 4250rpm and 420Nm torque at 2000rpm.
A six-speed automatic transmission is standard across the range, and all Mazda 6 models are front-wheel drive.
Mazda 6 G25 2023 model used 7.0L/100km on the combined cycle, while the G35 model uses 7.6L/100km.
All models have a 62L fuel tank, automatic start-stop, and use regular 91 RON unleaded fuel.
The 2023 Mazda 6 sedan measures 4865mm in length, 1450mm in height, 1840mm in width (excluding mirrors) and rides on a 2830mm wheelbase.
In contrast, the Mazda 6 wagon is 4800mm long, 1480mm high, 1840mm wide and rides on a shorter 2750mm wheelbase.
Sedan has 474L boot space with rear seats above and wagon 506L.
Towing capacity is 1500kg (braked) and 550kg (unbraked) in the G25 model and 1600kg (braked) and 750kg (unbraked) in the G35 model.
Service and Warranty
The Mazda 6 is backed by a five-year unlimited kilometer warranty.
Service is required every 12 months or 15,000km, whichever comes first.
The first five services are capped at $334, $505, $395, $505 and $334 in the G25 model and $347, $518, $431, $817 and $347 in the G35 model.
The Mazda 6 wears a five-star safety rating based on 2018 tests, achieving 95 percent for adult occupant protection, 91 percent for child occupant protection, 66 percent for vulnerable road users and 73 percent for safety assistance.
Standard safety equipment across the range includes:
- Adaptive cruise control with stop/go
- Autonomous emergency brake (forward and reverse)
- Blind spot monitoring
- Driver’s attention warning
- Smart Speed Assist
- Lane-keep helping
- Rear cross traffic warning
- Rear parking sensor
- Traffic sign recognition
- Tire pressure monitoring
The G25 Touring and above get front parking sensors, while the G35 GT SP and above get Cruising and Traffic Support and the G35 Atenza and above get a surround view camera.
The G25 Sports comes standard with the following equipment:
- 17-inch alloy wheels
- Heated and power adjustable mirrors
- Rain sensor wipers
- Automatic LED headlights
- Automatic high beam
- Fabric upholstery
- Keyless start
- 8.0-inch touchscreen infotainment system
- Android Auto and Apple CarPlay are wired
- DAB+ digital radio
- Satellite navigation
- Six-speaker sound system
- Head view
- Leather-wrapped steering wheel
- Tilt and telescopic steering wheel adjustment
- Paddle changer
- Dual zone climate control
- Electric parking brake with automatic hold
- Auto dim rear view mirror
- 2 x 12V power outlets
- 3 x USB sockets
The G25 Touring add:
- The outside mirror can be folded automatically
- LED daytime running lights
- Keyless entry
- Wireless Apple CarPlay
- 11 speaker Bose sound system
- Leather upholstery
- Power driver and passenger seats
The G35 GT SP add:
- Adaptive Front Lighting (steering wheel guided lights)
- 19-inch black alloy wheels
- Heated front seats
- Heated rear outer seats
- Burgundy leather upholstery
The G35 Atenza add:
- Adaptive LED headlights
- Bright finish 19-inch alloy wheels
- Single pane sunroof
- Heated steering wheel
- 7.0 inch instrument cluster screen
- Black Nappa leather upholstery
- Ventilated front seats
The 20th Anniversary add:
- 20th Anniversary Logo
- Tan Nappa leather and synthetic suede upholstery
- Embossed 20th Anniversary headrest logo
The following packages are optional at no cost:
- Sonic Silver metallic
- Jet Black Mica
- Deep crystal blue mica
- Platinum Quartz metal
Here are the $795 options:
- Rhodium White metal
- Metallic Gray Machine
- Polymetal Metallic gray
- Metallic Crystal Red Soul
The 20th Anniversary comes exclusively in Artisan Red or Rhodium White metallic finishes, at no extra cost.
MORE: It’s all Mazda 6